Friday, January 25, 2013

Maelstrom

Phew, but was today hectic.  And this coming from a girl who's been sleeping around 5 in the morning for a week now.  These past two weeks have all been akin to tightrope walking, but today in particular seemed as though all the gods had gathered to watch me fail.  

Starting this morning, after ending my night at 4:30, I had to arrive at school early for a Skype presentation with my corresponding French  group; their students are right at the end of their school day.  My correspondent was actually within this group too, a huge coincidence.  And what's more, boy did he look good.  And his English, such a smoky accent.  So now I feel totally awful for ignoring his last email for like two months.  Cause though I did mean to respond at certain times, and now I'm feeling awkward cause I want to talk to him but can't figure out how to word the email naturally, apologetically, etc, he won't now any of my thoughts.  To him I'm probably a terrible terrible Asian girl who can write okay in French but doesn't talk loudly or clearly in a heavily accented French.  Gosh.  I really am awful.  

Then right afterwards I leapt into English to prepare for my IOP, or individual oral presentation.  Three people later I was talking about John Cheever and the duality of human nature.  I was confident that my design and layout would stun the class, and that my presentation would be interesting to all, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to reach the required 8 minute mark as I had only practiced my presentation during the early morning, when I was so sleepy that I almost fell asleep before finishing my words.  

Following was physics, one of my favorite classes.  It's also the last class I would ever think of ignoring and doing other homework in.  But that's exactly what happened as I wrote my French Paper II.  So I missed most of our new unit.  And the first day is always the most important as it sets a foundation for understanding the rest of the ideas and also is the single day that we receive the most formulas to familiarize ourselves with. Well too bad.  Cause I spent half the class copying 300 words that I had already written by pen and then the next half trying to put together another paragraph.  I was creating a blog using three sources about discrimination against immigrants.  Though it wasn't as finished as I had hoped, I did churn out enough words to (probably) score decently on the paper.  

Actual French class wasn't too bad.  This was my last day of presenting songs and I was out of ideas.  So last night I had emailed myself two related proverbs to use today.  Of course I forgot about the proverbs until after physics and made myself nearly late to French cause I had to go read them in the IB lab.  But my teacher loved (initially at least) my idea and we got our Friday candy.  The rest of the block was split into reviewing grammar and watching the French movie Au Revoir Les Enfants.  TOK was great as well, we are now close to finishing The Matrix.  I had heard others speak of this movie with great reverence before, but I never imagined that it would be so perfectly enthralling! Red pill/ blue pill, the slowmo Matrix special move, I'm in on all the secrets now ;)

Ahhh, but lunch today was bad.  Mother was feeling poorly yesterday night so she didn't cook dinner.  I was dancing so I didn't even know, much less a position to remedy the situation.  So my papa went to McDonald's (the worst) and bought bags of burgers and chicken nuggets.  I just ate a chicken sandwich and told him to visit Subway next time.  But anyways, mother said she was already feeling better and would make me udon in the morning for my lunch, so I stopped worrying about bread and cooking our special chicken patties.  Of course then in the morning she told me she really was too tired to make food, so for lunch I simply had the hardboiled egg that was supposed to be my breakfast, a miniature Trader Joe's apple, and one Milano cookie courtesy of my friend.  When I got home I returned the $10 my mom had shoved into my hands and, after questioning, told them that I had eat the egg and apple as well as part of my friend's sandwich.  She really has enough to worry about without me giving her such stress everyday.

And finally.  Now.  Now, I am waiting to go and serve for our dance school's performance/auction, Swirling Soiree.  I can't wait for the food and the dances, but I do hate carrying such heavy platters while faking smiles to people who are so carefree and seem like they have no pressing matters to attend or even schedule imbalances to manage.  I should probably get going now.  It's nearing that time.  And while I don't have to leave yet, I have to look good no? I mean, I'll actually know the people there.  And the pointe shoe that I worked so hard to decorate is displayed there as well.  I hope someone buys it.  Buys it and treasures my hand drawn, painstakingly beaded creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment